Minnesota to Miami

Minnesota to Miami

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Potty Training

Hallelujah for potty training...

Training, period, deserves recognition. An uphill climb, yet much worth the effort (no matter how long it takes!).

For my son (and future children), we were gifted with his potty chair: Safety 1st Comfy Cushy, 3-in-1 Potty. It was purchased from Target, though, I believe it can be purchased from Babies R Us as well. I like the feature of it being a step stool, as well as a potty chair, as well as having a removable insert to apply to a regular toilet. One difficulty with it (for us due to Isaiah having the tendency to put everything in his mouth - teething! - a whole topic I have yet to begin discussing) is the cushion portion being made of a chewable material - the point of it potentially not lasting through the years (whether it is from his mouth or simply being banged around by all of the uses and the lid coming down over it). Other than that, he enjoys dismantling it after he has used it (a way for him to engage his engineering mine) and it is easy to rinse out after each use.

Some things that I have chosen to do with Isaiah as a way of encouraging him in his process of learning: 1. Congratulating him every time he pees or poos in his chair (or at least makes it into the bathroom to do his business) by clapping (which he loves joining in!) and/or singing a spontaneous song about his achievement and/or speaking out "Good Job!" and/or giving him a big hug and/or letting others (when appropriate) know of his accomplishment so that they can join in with the celebration. 2. Reassuring him, when he goes pee or poo in his pants or on the floor, by saying that he is still doing a good job, only that, he needs to do his business in the potty. 3. Praying for God to give him the desire to use the potty chair and to give him the understanding of how to use his bladder/bowel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Mommy Blogs

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Popular Posts

My Blog List

  • Even though our child’s death was a still-birth, our marriage took a hit that I was not expecting. The pronouncement of my child’s death took place at a r...
  • Let's talk for a minute about self-care. Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm wo...
  • Choose Joy and Oil is on the move.
  • "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." Jesus tells his disciples this in Matthew 10,...
  • If you stumble across this blog, I'm glad you came. Feel free to browse. When you are finished you can visit me at my new internet home... wordsfromthenor...
  • The simple definition for tidal wave is *"a very large amount of something"* - and my, oh my, have we had a large amount of somethings going on here. My ...
  • こうならないように、へたってくると腰にダメージがくるので、本当にありがたく感じ。膝頭を手で支えながら、日本市場 … "高反発マットレス"の続きを読む
  • Hello faithful followers and new visitors. I have some exciting news...this site is getting a complete makeover! I have been doing a lot of soul searching,...
  • For the first part of my son's story, see Birth Story Part 1: Unexpected Challenges. Thursday, July 16th We were scheduled for induction at noon, but as is...
  • [image: Back to school snack solutions to give kids the after school fuel they need to stay focused and organized in the back to school routine.]*This is ...