Minnesota to Miami

Minnesota to Miami

Friday, May 2, 2014

Infant Emergency



     It happened so fast, yet I can replay it in slow motion. I see the spot it happened, and I cringe over how quickly the ceramic pot came crashing down around Jeremiah. As he held onto the rim - of which he had done countless times before - I reassured myself that he was fine, as I reached for a pick in my guitar bag. No sooner did I turn my eye that I then began seeing the pot coming down.

     As Jeremiah was passed to me, by a friend who was visiting, I began scanning him for injuries. I caught a sight of only one thing. At first I didn't think it was much, but then I looked closer and gasped. I immediately began praying as I walked into the kitchen to grab some paper towels. I proceeded upstairs to where I knew the first aid kit was. As the gauze pad was being unrolled and pressure was being applied, I kept my mind fixed upon God being my Helper. 

     I began pacing again and praying and holding back the tears.

     I called my mom, knowing that her nursing knowledge would be of great help. She instructed me in a way of bandaging the wound. As I began the process, I knew that I could potentially get nauseous and queasy, so I prepared myself. I did what I could and then as I went to make an adjustment, I began loosing my physical being. I was getting light-headed and needed to pass Jeremiah to my friend so that I could make it through enough to finish what I needed to, for his sake. Eventually, things got done, and I was back to holding Jeremiah. Not long after, he was down on the floor playing with some toys. I of course was still beside myself. There was so much in me that was shaken up...

     After finally speaking with Edy on the phone (he had been away on some important business), he rushed home and upon seeing the wound decided that the emergency room is where Jeremiah needed to be.

     We went to the closest emergency room we knew of and ended up leaving after 45 minutes. The doctor we saw recommended that we go to a pediatrician - someone who constantly is dealing with children - because of the need for stitches and wanting the best job done as possible. We agreed and drove another 20 minutes. By this time, Jeremiah had fallen asleep (before leaving the other hospital, they did clean up his wound). 

     When we finally were seen by the pediatrician on duty, his initial assessment was that there was no need for stitches and that he would simply clean it, numb the area, administer Children's Motrin, cut off the remaining skin, and take an x-ray. 

     As much as that was a relief, there was still so much ache in our hearts - Edy and me. To watch your child experience pain is terrible. To have all of the thoughts run through your mind as to what you could have done differently...horrible. I wrestled with guilt and sadness, shame and fear. My heart was trembling and all I wanted to do was to go back and rescue Jeremiah from ever going near the ceramic pot.

     Oh to be shaken up by the unexpected...Through it all, Jeremiah did wonderfully. Isaiah, as well, was a trooper. Edy and myself were a wreck, but by God's grace we sustained and rose above our emotions.

     Hallelujah for God's protection and providence. Hallelujah for God's help and strength. Hallelujah for the quick healing and reassurance over Jeremiah. Hallelujah for all the ways God brought us through.


1 comment:

Top Mommy Blogs

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Popular Posts

My Blog List

  • Even though our child’s death was a still-birth, our marriage took a hit that I was not expecting. The pronouncement of my child’s death took place at a r...
  • Let's talk for a minute about self-care. Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm wo...
  • Choose Joy and Oil is on the move.
  • "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." Jesus tells his disciples this in Matthew 10,...
  • If you stumble across this blog, I'm glad you came. Feel free to browse. When you are finished you can visit me at my new internet home... wordsfromthenor...
  • The simple definition for tidal wave is *"a very large amount of something"* - and my, oh my, have we had a large amount of somethings going on here. My ...
  • こうならないように、へたってくると腰にダメージがくるので、本当にありがたく感じ。膝頭を手で支えながら、日本市場 … "高反発マットレス"の続きを読む
  • Hello faithful followers and new visitors. I have some exciting news...this site is getting a complete makeover! I have been doing a lot of soul searching,...
  • For the first part of my son's story, see Birth Story Part 1: Unexpected Challenges. Thursday, July 16th We were scheduled for induction at noon, but as is...
  • [image: Back to school snack solutions to give kids the after school fuel they need to stay focused and organized in the back to school routine.]*This is ...