Minnesota to Miami

Minnesota to Miami

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Infant Emergency: Part 4


     Just when you think you are finished...Urgh! Hallelujah for grace and mercy and endurance. On that note, here's a shout out to Jeremiah - such a trooper in the midst of all of the twists and turns of events.

     Sooooo, here's the next learning curve to having his laceration: a fungal rash on his butt! Until today (due to a doctors appointment - hallelujah for that timing), because of his wound, we had been keeping him out of the tub and simply cleaning his bottom with wipes as needed. Sure, we would clean him up if he was dirty and put lotion on him - just not the usual, daily bath. I had no idea such repercussions could come of him not bathing. Now I do.

     We now have, in addition to changing his bandages for his wound, a fungal cream to apply every time we change his diaper. The first couple applications stung him a little, but already after a day, the difference is noticeable.

     Important points that I came across in the process of trying to heal his rash (that at the time - over the past few days - I did not know it was fungal):

     1. DRYNESS IS A BABIES FRIEND. When a baby's bottom is not dry before applying a butt cream, it can do more harm than good because of locking in the moisture.

     2. A BATHED/WASHED BUTT IS A HAPPY BUTT. Not having Jeremiah in the water aided in his infection. Simply washing him at the sink while not getting his wound wet should have been the protocol.

     3. WIPES NEVER CAN REPLACE GOOD'OLE SOAP AND WATER. Baby wipes often can be the cause of a rash - instead of helping they will keep making things worse. Every baby has different skin, and sometimes even that is changing as their bodies change (teething is the most common source of those changes).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Mommy Blogs

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Popular Posts

My Blog List

  • Even though our child’s death was a still-birth, our marriage took a hit that I was not expecting. The pronouncement of my child’s death took place at a r...
  • Let's talk for a minute about self-care. Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm wo...
  • Choose Joy and Oil is on the move.
  • "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." Jesus tells his disciples this in Matthew 10,...
  • If you stumble across this blog, I'm glad you came. Feel free to browse. When you are finished you can visit me at my new internet home... wordsfromthenor...
  • The simple definition for tidal wave is *"a very large amount of something"* - and my, oh my, have we had a large amount of somethings going on here. My ...
  • こうならないように、へたってくると腰にダメージがくるので、本当にありがたく感じ。膝頭を手で支えながら、日本市場 … "高反発マットレス"の続きを読む
  • Hello faithful followers and new visitors. I have some exciting news...this site is getting a complete makeover! I have been doing a lot of soul searching,...
  • For the first part of my son's story, see Birth Story Part 1: Unexpected Challenges. Thursday, July 16th We were scheduled for induction at noon, but as is...
  • [image: Back to school snack solutions to give kids the after school fuel they need to stay focused and organized in the back to school routine.]*This is ...