Minnesota to Miami

Minnesota to Miami

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Potty Training: Part 2


     It is official: Isaiah is potty trained!!! As of about a month now, he has been doing his peeing and pooping on the toilet! Was it easy? No way! Was all the hard work worth it? Yes!

     What did it finally take? It took persistence on my part. It took his yielding to my persistence and having the desire to do the final work necessary.

     I was tired of him knowing what he was doing and yet choosing not to take the responsibility of doing it on the toilet. Even with offering rewards and incentives, it still wasn't enough to encourage him the whole way. He needed to take ownership of his choices and realize it was HIS CHOICE. Yes, it helped to explain the benefits: no more cleanings, no more diapers, underwear, flushing the toilet, washing his hands at the sink, using the bathroom, etc.

     The final climb before taking flight: two days of long time-outs, while sitting in his wet and dirty clothes.

     What I will say for future potty training and to others who have been there or going to be there: EACH CHILD IS DIFFERENT. Each child will need something different to encourage them along in the process. Each child will respond differently to discipline - choose wisely for your mode of discipline. Don't be afraid to be strict. Don't be afraid to get excited - even overly excited in conveying your support. PATIENCE and GRACE are needed in loads. IT IS A PROCESS.

     The bigger picture: The potty training process is so much more than simply peeing and pooping in a different place and without assistance. It is about learning discipline and hard work and growth. It is about learning that growth comes with gains and losses. It is about learning not to give up, but to endure. It is about having the victory over a very hard task - even when the task seems too difficult and impossible. Has Isaiah learned these things? Yes, I believe and trust that he has. THOSE ADDITIONS TO HIS CHARACTER will stay with him the rest of his life - benefiting him in so many more ways than potty training.

     Hallelujah, we have overcome. Hallelujah, Isaiah has grown and developed. He is now onto the next level of learning.


"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." Proverbs 14:23



No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Mommy Blogs

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Popular Posts

My Blog List

  • Even though our child’s death was a still-birth, our marriage took a hit that I was not expecting. The pronouncement of my child’s death took place at a r...
  • Let's talk for a minute about self-care. Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm wo...
  • Choose Joy and Oil is on the move.
  • "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." Jesus tells his disciples this in Matthew 10,...
  • If you stumble across this blog, I'm glad you came. Feel free to browse. When you are finished you can visit me at my new internet home... wordsfromthenor...
  • The simple definition for tidal wave is *"a very large amount of something"* - and my, oh my, have we had a large amount of somethings going on here. My ...
  • Hello faithful followers and new visitors. I have some exciting news...this site is getting a complete makeover! I have been doing a lot of soul searching,...
  • For the first part of my son's story, see Birth Story Part 1: Unexpected Challenges. Thursday, July 16th We were scheduled for induction at noon, but as is...
  • [image: Back to school snack solutions to give kids the after school fuel they need to stay focused and organized in the back to school routine.]*This is ...