Minnesota to Miami

Minnesota to Miami

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Children's Money Matters



     I have been looking for a good "piggy bank" for the boys, for awhile. Finally, today, I found the one I wanted - so exciting (It wasn't so much that I had an exact picture of what I wanted, but I knew that when I found it, I would know)! In fact, I decided to get one for each of the boys (yes, letting them share one would teach team work/effort - having their own will give them independence and ownership for their own choices). 

     Why have a place for them to put money? For me the thought is that it will be a helpful tool in getting them engaged in money management. Anytime there is a hands-on opportunity, the better. How much better that these specific ones (which I found at a dollar store) have a super hero on them!

     What does God have to say about money in the Bible? Actually, there are so many places that "money" is mentioned, throughout the Bible. Here are three samples:

"Dishonest money dwindles away, 
but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow."
Proverbs 13:11

"Whoever loves money never has enough; 
whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless."
Ecclesiastes 5:10

“No one can serve two masters. 
Either you will hate the one and love the other, 
or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. 
You cannot serve both God and money."
Matthew 6:24

     What I take away from the "money matters" is that it is no simply matter; there is a major issue at stake. That issue being that we can too easily fall into the trap of making it a god - depending on it rather than on God. It also can lead to dishonesty and other character flaws. 

     As I proceed in letting the boys put their coins and cash into their banks, it will be fun to talk to them about what money is and who it belongs to - what to do with it, how much each coin is, how to add them, etc. There are so many angles in which to talk with the boys about money management. 

     May God give them wisdom as He gives me wisdom, in teaching them the right and wrong ways of money management.

     Hallelujah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Mommy Blogs

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Popular Posts

My Blog List

  • Even though our child’s death was a still-birth, our marriage took a hit that I was not expecting. The pronouncement of my child’s death took place at a r...
  • Let's talk for a minute about self-care. Now, I know what you’re thinking…“There's a pandemic going on. I'm helping my kids with online academics. I'm wo...
  • Choose Joy and Oil is on the move.
  • "What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs." Jesus tells his disciples this in Matthew 10,...
  • If you stumble across this blog, I'm glad you came. Feel free to browse. When you are finished you can visit me at my new internet home... wordsfromthenor...
  • The simple definition for tidal wave is *"a very large amount of something"* - and my, oh my, have we had a large amount of somethings going on here. My ...
  • こうならないように、へたってくると腰にダメージがくるので、本当にありがたく感じ。膝頭を手で支えながら、日本市場 … "高反発マットレス"の続きを読む
  • Hello faithful followers and new visitors. I have some exciting news...this site is getting a complete makeover! I have been doing a lot of soul searching,...
  • For the first part of my son's story, see Birth Story Part 1: Unexpected Challenges. Thursday, July 16th We were scheduled for induction at noon, but as is...
  • [image: Back to school snack solutions to give kids the after school fuel they need to stay focused and organized in the back to school routine.]*This is ...